Time’s 100 top Olympic athletes
Time has selected a list of 100 top athletes to watch at the Beijing Olympics. Not surprisingly the list is dominated by athletes from the United States. I was surprised not to see Grant Hackett on the list.
Who do you think should be included? What’s your top five list of athletes?
1. LeBron James - US - Basketball
2. Dara Torres - US - swimming - the 41 year old mother is planning to show the world age is no barrier.
3. Michael Phelps - attempting to break Mark Spitz’s record of seven gold medals at a single Olympic Games.
4. Liu Xiang - China’s biggest medal hope on the track, in the 110 meter hurdles
5. Yao Ming - China’s favorite basketball giant.
6. Allyson Felix - Won a silver in Athens in the 200 meters
7. Shawn Johnson - At just 16 years old, she is regarded as the best gymnast in the world
8. Roman Sebrle - Czech decathlete
9. Guo Jingjing - China’s medal hope
10. Tyson Gay - United States medal hope in the 100 meters
11. Asaga Powell - Former Jamaican world recorder holder in the 100 meters
12. Usain Bolt - Current world record holder in the 100 meters from Jamaica
13. Yang Wei - China’s gymnastics medal favorite
14. Stephanie Rice - Katie Hoff’s rival in the 200 and 400 meter medley’s.
18. Chris Paul - point guard in the U.S. basketball team
19. Paul Hamm - U.S. gymnast medal favorite, recovering from a wrist break
20. Zou Shiming - Chinese boxer who won a bronze medal at the Athens games
21. Sheila Taormina - United States Pentathlon, first woman to qualify for three different sports at an Olympics - swimming, triathlon and now pentathlon
22. Sara Khoshjamal - Iran, taekwando
23. Marta Vieira da Silva - soccer, Brazil
24. Nastia Liukin - Russian born gymnast who will compete for the United States
25. Alicia Sacramone - United States gymnast
26. Chellsie Memmel - United States gymnast
27. Laure Manaudou - France swimming - 400m freestyle, 100m and 200m backstroke, and 400m medley relay
28. Federica Pellegrini - Italy swimming
29. Alain Bernard - France - swimming
30. Laura Flessel-Colovic - France - fencing
31. Paula Radcliffe - Great Britain - World record holder in the women’s marathon
32. Nader al Masri - Palestine - long distance running
33. Kobe Bryant - U.S. basketball star
34. Vanessa Ferrari - Italy - gymnastics
35. Freddy Adu - U.S. - soccer/football
36. Andrew Howe - Italy - long jump
37. Martin Lel - Kenya - marathon
38. Catherine Ndereba - Kenya - marathon
39. Marianne Vos - Netherlands - cycling
40. Adam Korol - Poland - Rowing
41. Aaron Peirsol - United States - swimming
42. Mark Lopez - United States - taekwando family
43. Diana Lopez - United States - taekwando family
44. Steven Lopez - United States - taekwando family
45. Mark Warkentin - United States - open water swimming
46. Bryan Volpenhein - United States - rowing
47. Guo Yue - China - table tennis
48. Taufik Hidayat - Indonesia - badminton
49. Lin Dan - China - badminton - Labeled the “John McEnroe” of badminton
50. Tibor Benedek - Hungary - water polo
51. Kohei Uchimura - Japan - gymnastics
52. Wang Liqin - China - table tennis
53. Billy Joe Saunders - Great Britain - boxing
54. J.R. Holden - Russia’s only black basketball player
55. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore - India - shooting
56. Amnat Ruenroeng - Thailand - boxing
57. Ryan Lochte - United States - Swimming
58. Nagmeldin Ali Abubakr - Sudan - sprints
59. Dayron Robles - World record holder in the 110 meter hurdles from Cuba. A real threat to China’s favorite Liu Xiang.
60. Kerri Walsh - U.S. - Beach volleyball gold medal favorites
61. Misty May-Treanor - U.S. - Beach volleyball gold medal favorites
62. Libby Trickett - Australia’s gold medal favorite in the swimming
63. Tom Daley - Great Britain’s diving prodigy
64. Oxana Chusovitina - Germany - gymnastics
65. Otylia Jedrzejczak - Poland - swimming
66. Natalie Coughlin - United States - swimming
67. Katie Hoff - United States - swimming - the Michael Phelps of female swimmers
68. Jenn Stuczynski - United States - pole vault
69. Cat Osterman - United States - softball pitcher
70. Ryan Hall - United States - marathon
71. Candace Parker - United States - basketball
72. Bernard Lagat - United States - distance running
73. Reese Hoffa - United States - shot put
74. Jennie Finch - United States - softball
75. Breaux Greer - United States - javelin
76. Ryoko Tani - Japan - Judo legend in Japan. Hoping to win her third consecutive gold medal in Beijing.
77. Sanya Richards - United States - sprint
78. Brian Clay - U.S. - decathlon
79. Rau’Shee Warren - U.S. - boxing
80. Taylor Phinney - U.S. - cycling
81. Donny Robinson - U.S. - BMX
82. Melanie Roach - U.S. - weightlifting
83. Kristy Coventry - Zimbabwe - swimming
84. Eric Shanteau - U.S. - swimming
85. Brad Vering - U.S. - wrestling
86. Laura Wilkinson - U.S. - diving
87. Howard Bach - U.S. - badminton
88. Terrence Trammell - U.S. - hurdles
89. Vladimir Dyatchin - Russia - swimming
90. Blanka Vlasic - Croatia - high jump
91. Novak Djokovic - Serbia - tennis
92. Matt Emmons - United States - shooting
93. Ali Adnan - Iraq - archery
94. Im Dong Hyun - South Korea - archery
95. Keeth Smart - U.S. - fencing (brother/sister)
96. Erinn Smart - U.S. - fencing (brother/sister)
97. Haile Gebrselassie - Ethiopia - distance running
98. Kyle Shewfelt - Canada - gymnastics
99. Dana Hussein Abdul-Razzaq - Iraq - sprints
100. Natalie du Toit - South Africa - distance swimming - Second amputee to qualify for the Olympics.
Paul Hamm is no longer competing in the Olympics this summer
[...] Who do you think should be included? What’s your top five list of athletes? [...]
i’ll surely watch yao ming and lebron james on this coming olympics
Bekele. How can you leave him out. The ethiopian athlete has been at top form.
Where is Roger Federer?
Exactly my question too, Patrick - Why is Roger Federer (Switzerland) not included in this list???!!!
hahaha LOL Americans!
change the title to “list of american athletes”
the whole world isnt in the USA
I wonder why the two Ethiopia 5000 mt and 10,000 record holder athlets for men and women Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibabab respectively are not included among the top 10s
Well, by now there is NO question about who the world top athlete is…………large and in charge……………the undesputed………Usain Bolt!
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.